Maybole Coat of Arms
Home ] Up ] Photo Galleries ] Town Guides ] Notables ] News ] Places ] History ] Search ] Contact Us ]


From the granting of the Charter in 1516 the Burgh had the right to bear Ensigns Armorial and in 1672 an Act of Parliament was passed concerning the recordings of such armorial bearings in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings but the town authorities did not make application to have the Arms recorded at that time. It was not until 4th January, 1931 that the Council petitioned the Lord Lyon King of Arms to have the bearings recorded and on 22nd January, 1931, the Arms were matriculated and recorded in accordance with the Act of 1672. The Heraldic description of the coat-of-arms is as follows:

"Argent, a chevron Gules between three lions rampant Azure, armed and langued of the second. Above the shield is placed a Burghal coronet and a helmet befitting their degree with mantling Gules double Argent and on a wreath of their Liveries is set for Crest a Dolphin naiant proper and in an escrol over the same the motto-"Ad Summa Virtus".

In layman's language the coat of arms can be described as a white shield with a red chevron and three blue rampant lions. The helmet and coronet are common to burghs such as Maybole and the motto can be loosely translated as "To the highest point of valour".  (From Maybole, Carrick's Capital. Facts, Fiction & Folks by James T. Gray,)

Please contact us if you wish to license the Maybole Coat of Arms.


Copyright 1999-2014